1 May to 15 May 2019.
My partner Jools and I are about to embark on a trip to Sabah. It is a two-week wildlife tour, organised by NatureArt Lab, based in Canberra. In due course I will post for each part of the journey and there will be links to those posts below. I may produce some temporary posts as I go but only if I have sufficient time. Final posts will appear later (and I still have to finish final posts for Cuba and the Caribbean).
Links for summary posts and then final posts will appear under the maps in due course.
There is a great profusion of wildlife in Sabah which is much less affected by logging than Sarawak and Kalimantan. There should be much to see including orangutans, sun bears, pygmy elephants, proboscis monkeys, hornbills, spectacular butterflies and remarkable vegetation such as orchids and the giant rafflesia flowers.
Using the letters from the map above (click it if you need to see more detail):
- (a) We arrive in Kota Kinabalu Airport
- (b) We spend a couple of days in and around Kota Kinabalu, the capital and largest city of Sabah
- (c) Cool rainforest in Mount Kinabalu (everywhere else we go will be hot and humid)
- (d) Different birds, insects and animals at Poring Hot Springs and staying the night in a Tea Plantation.
- (e) Sepilok Rainforest Discovery Centre, Borneo Sun Bear Conservation Centre and the Orang-utan Rehabilitation Centre
- (f) Photography from a boat on the Kinabatangan River
- (g) Tabin Wildlife Reserve
- (h) Fly out from Lahad Datu Airport.
Links to Posts (most yet to come):
- KL to KK (Kuala Lumpur to Kota Kinabalu)
- KK Markets (Kota Kinabalu)
- KK Fishing Boats (Kota Kinabalu)
- Egrets – I’ve had a few…
- Mount Kinabalu
- Poring Hot Springs and Sabah Tea Plantation
- Sepilok Day 1 – Giant Flying Squirrels
- Sepilok Day 2 – Sun Bears and Orang Utans
- Kinabatangan River Day 1 – Pig Tailed Macaques
- Kinabatangan River Day 2 – Proboscis Monkeys
- Tabin Day 1
- Tabin Day 2
- Tabin Day 3
- Lahad Datu to Kuala Lumpur